Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The two major technical flaws I see in ski racers

Looking at some pictures on Snowtime from the first world cup race in Soelden, I began to contemplate what my focus for coaching my racers was going to be for the season. And I started thinking about the major afflictions most racers have. The two major problem areas almost all racers have boil down to:

1. Not having enough weight on the shovels of the skis
2. Leaning into the turn

These things affect all sorts of other technical aspects of racing - for example, the line. A fast line cannot be maintained without enough pressure on the skis' shovel, or while all of the racer's weight is inside the skis. The skis just will not bend enough to maintain the fast line without skidding. Think about it - no weight on the ski, how will it bend?

What are you planning on focusing on improving, or teaching this year?

No comments: